Skip to main content

Dome Island Memorial Sanctuary records

Identifier: ARL-030

Content Description

Records of the Dome Island Memorial Sanctuary including Nature conservancy leaflets and newsletters, newspaper clippings and other publicity detailing the progress of the project. Preservation plans, surveys, evaluations and reports relate scientific data on Dome Island. Administrative records include meeting minutes, annual reports, finances and membership information. Historical maps and directions encompass the general Lake George region. Extensive correspondence covering a range of topics including an original letter confirming acceptance of Katharine McCaddon's offer for the purchase of Dome Island signed by John Apperson. Other correspondents include Alvin Breisch, H.H. Barnes, Jr., Theodore Dreier, Dr. Egler, Barbara G. Fell, George B. Fell, Richard H. Goodwin, Philip Ham, Guy M. Jones, Irving Langmuir, J.H. Melish, Wendell M. Nelson, W.L.L. Peltz, Harold F. Pitcairn, Robert Rienow, Hugh W. Robinson, Paul B. Sears, Alvin G. Whitney, Howard Zahniser and others.


  • 1916 - 1996

Conditions Governing Access

Open for research.

Biographical / Historical

In 1939, John S. Apperson purchased Dome Island on Lake George to protect it from development and to preserve its wilderness character. He agreed to donate the Island to the Nature Conservancy provided an endowment fund could be raised. The idea was initiated by Dr. Alvin G. Whitney, retired from the New York State Museum and founder of the New York Chapter of the Nature Conservancy. On December 13, 1956, John S. Apperson executed the deed conveying Dome Island to the Nature Conservancy. A maintenance fund of $20,000 accompanied this gift with the stipulation that it be used expressly for the Island's protection, scientific study, and education. This act created the Dome Island Memorial Sanctuary Committee whose main goals were to implement the wishes of Apperson's will. At the time of its inception, the committee also focused on protection, surveillance, vehicle and visitor control, education, recreational use, shoreline restoration and scientific research.


1.23 Cubic Feet

1 Box

Language of Materials




Correspondence, reports, and publicity relating to the establishment and maintenance of the Dome Island Memorial Sanctuary.


The materials are kept in their original order.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

On April 22, 2011, Protect the Adirondacks! placed the collection on permanent loan with Union College.
Dome Island Memorial Sanctuary records
Matthew Golebiewski
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Adirondack Research Library Repository

897 St. David's Lane
Niskayuna NY 12309